"The very first step in understanding what this is all about is giving up the concept of an active, volitional 'I' as a separate entity and accepting the passive role of perceiving and functioning as a process." - Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Jnana Airplane


Sri Annamalai Swami

I once asked B: 'You are at the top of the hill. You have reached the summit of spiritual life, whereas I am still at the bottom of the hill. Please help me reach the summit."

B answered, "It will be enough if you give up the thought, 'I am at the bottom of the hill.' If you can do this, there will be no difference between us. It is just your thoughts that are convincing you that I am at the top and you are at the bottom. If you give up this difference, you will be fine."

Don't adopt attitudes such as these that automatically assume that you are limited or inferior in any way.

On another occasion I asked B: "Nowadays, many people are crossing big oceans by plane in very short periods of time. I would like B to find us a good device, a jnana airplane that can speedily transport us all to moksha.'

This time B replied, "We are both travelling in a jnana airplane, but you don't understand this."

In his answers to me B would never let me fall into the false belief that I was separate or different from him, or that I was a person with a mind and a body who needed to do something to reach some exalted spiritual state. Whenever I asked him questions that were based on assumptions such as these, he would show me the error that was implicit in the question and gently point me to the truth, the Self. He would never allow me to entertain wrong ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

सर्वभूताधिवासं यद्भूतेषु च वसत्यपि।
सर्वानुग्राहकत्वेन तद्स्म्यहं वासुदेवः॥

That in whom reside all beings and who resides in all beings,
who is the giver of grace to all, the Supreme Soul of the universe, the limitless being:
I AM THAT. -- Amritabindu Upanishad